8 medium-sized fresh tomatoes
120ml apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Start by blanching and peeling the fresh tomatoes. Score the bottom of each tomato with a shallow "X" and then cover them in boiling water for about 30 seconds.
- Transfer them to an ice bath, and the skins should peel off easily. Remove the cores and roughly chop the tomatoes.
- In a large saucepan, combine the chopped fresh tomatoes and apple cider vinegar. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the mixture simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the tomatoes have broken down and the mixture thickens. Stir occasionally.
- Once the tomato mixture has thickened, add the seasoning, honey and tomato paste. Cook this off for a couple of minutes.
- Remove it from heat and allow it to cool slightly. Use a blender or an immersion blender to puree the tomato mixture until smooth, add the water.
- Return the smooth tomato mixture to the saucepan. Taste the ketchup and adjust the seasoning and sweetness to your liking.
- Return the saucepan to low heat and simmer the ketchup for an additional 10-15 minutes to allow the flavours to meld together or until it reaches your desisted consistency.
- Remove it from heat and let it cool. Transfer the homemade ketchup into an airtight container or glass jars for storage. Refrigerate the ketchup for at least an hour before using to enhance the flavour and texture.
Looking for more delicious and healthy recipes? Grab a copy of my cookbook, filled with a delightful collection of flavourful dishes that are easy to prepare and perfect for every occasion.
Join the Meals with Max community and discover a world of culinary wonders that will tantalise your taste buds and inspire your kitchen adventures. Happy cooking!